Bronx - Free Summer Outdoor Theater 2021
Free Things To Do in the Bronx - Free Summer Theater Park in NYC
Summer is in full swing. A number of community groups in collaboration with the NYC Parks Department and frequently some measure of government funding, have put together a summer full of free summer theater in the parks. The free theatre events listed below are designed for young and old alike and they're FREE.
Quite a number of summer theater programs in the Bronx have been curtailed or cancelled, many in part due to the ongoing CoVid pandemic. We'll continue to update / add to this schedule of free theater in the park in the Bronx, as we become aware of additional productions.
Free Summer Movies in the Bronx 2021
- Click here to view our report on free movies in the park - summer movies in the Bronx, Mott Haven, Claremont Village, Hunts Point, Morrisania, Highbridge, Norwood, Bedford Park, Pelham Bay, Van Cortlandt, Riverdale, Concourse, Highbridge, Kingsbridge and Morris Heights.
Music / Concerts in the Park in the Bronx 2021
- Click here to view our report on free summer concerts in the Bronx - Mott Haven, Claremont Village, Hunts Point, Morrisania, Highbridge, Norwood, Bedford Park, Pelham Bay, Van Cortlandt, Riverdale, Concourse, Highbridge, Kingsbridge and Morris Heights.
Free Things To Do in the Bronx
- Current Bronx Things To Do. Click here to view a listing of current Bronx things to do.
Directory of Free Summer Theater in Bronx NYC
Organized by Bronx Neighborhoods & then by Month
Also Check Our Monthly Bronx Events / Bronx Things To Do Calendar
1. South Bronx Free Summer Theater 2021
South of the Cross Bronx Expressway [172nd & 176th Streets], East of the Harlem River & West of the Bronx River
Free Summer Theater at Teatro Pregones in the Concourse Village Neighborhood of the Bronx
Free Theater at La Casita Pregones Theater / Puerto Rican Traveling Theater - Free Things To Do In the Bronx NYC
Click here to view a Teatro Pregones map [TBD]. The theatrical productions are performed at the Pregones Theater at 571 Walton Avenue at 150th Street in the Concourse Village neighborhood of the Bronx.
- Saturdays, June 19, 2021 - July 24, 2021 [except July 4th weekend] beginning at 3 pm - Stage Garden Rumba - They describe the event as: "Music, theater, dance, literature, and activism--presented by Pregones/PRTT in partnership with our people and for our people! Stage Garden Rumba is an open invitation for all New Yorkers to experience our beautiful South Bronx green spaces and Casitas in the company of creative and fearless agents of change ... Each afternoon festival is unique ..." At the following locations in the Bronx. I suggest you bring a mask. FREE.
- July Dates / Times / Other Locations for Stage Garden Rumba
- JUNE 19, 2021 at Pregones Garden, 575 Walton Avenue
- [This one is the only event on Monday] JUNE 21 at Lou Gehrig Plaza, 851 Grand Concourse - Open Culture with 161 Street BID
- JUNE 26, 2021 at Willis Avenue Garden, 401 E 143 Street
- JULY 10, 2021 at Sunshine Garden, 174th St & Bryant Avenue
- JULY 17, 2021 at La Finca del Sur, 175 East 138 Street
- JULY 24, 2021 at Brook Park, Brook Avenue and E 141 Street
- AUGUST 14 at Yolanda García Park, 160 Street & Melrose Ave
- AUGUST 21 at Bruckner Mott Haven Garden, 138th Street & Bruckner Blvd
- AUGUST 28 at Rincón Criollo, Brook Avenue and E 157th Street
- SEPTEMBER 11 at Crotona Park, 901 Claremont Parkway
- SEPTEMBER 25 at (TBA)
Free Summer Theater at St Mary's Playground in the Mott Haven Neighborhood of the Bronx
Date / Time / Event. Saturday, August 1, 2021 beginning at 2 pm - Critical Care of Rehearsals for a Nurse
Description. TNC describes the new play saying it's about, "... a young lady named Rose, who is studying to be a Nurse. She takes a job in a Nursing home so that she will be able to pay her tuition, books, and living expenses. But COVID-19 rears its Ugly Head, and Rose has a big fight on her hands, to help to save her city and her own future as a pediatric nurse. In this beautiful Street Theater Story, the old and the new, the old and the young, all come together, to assure us that this Pandemic will end, and together, we shall survive. Like the phoenix, we will rise from the ashes. As the juggler/clown, working in the local Hospital Clown Care Unit predicts: "When we wear our masks and wash our hands - grab that vaccine and deeply care for each other, we are unstoppable." Free summer theater in the Village. FREE. CoVid guidelines in effect.
Location. Pontiac Playground St. Mary's Park at 450 St. Ann's Avenue in Mott Haven.
Contact. Organized by the Parks Dept & Theater for the New City aka TNC at www.theaterforthenewcity.net
Free Theater at ID Studio Theater - Free Things To Do In the Bronx NYC
Click here to view an ID Studio Theater map [TBD]. The theatrical productions are performed at the ID Studio Theater at 311 East 140th Street off 3rd Avenue in the Mott Haven neighborhood of the Bronx.
*** NO SUMMER THEATER PERFORMANCES VISIBLY SCHEDULED FOR SUMMER 2021. They are hosting other events like classes.
- Saturday, Sunday, August 3 & 4 at 7.30 pm, Sunday, August 11 beginning 3 pm, Saturday, August 17 beginning at 7.30 pm and September 12 at 9 am & Sunday September 15 at 10 pm - El Cielo y Dolor / Paradise & Pain - "Alexandra, a trans immigrant working as a prostitute in Queens, tells us, in a darkly humorous piece, her deepest secrets: her sexual initation, the discovery of love, exile, separation, the border crossing, New York, Queens, her return to prostitution... purgatory. El cielo y el dolor (Paradise and Pain) is a love story, beautiful and piercing like love itself. It's a story of survival, sacrifice, of a loneliness so deep that it forces us to escape our cages only to find ourselves entrapped in other even bigger cages, as we try to live, to finally find happiness, and to touch, even if only for a moment, paradise. Winner of a 2018 HOLA (Hispanic Organization of Latino Actors) award, in the category "Outstanding Performance in a a show for One Actor." Performed in Spanish only. No English translation available."
Summer Theater at The Point CDC in the Hunts Point Neighborhood of the Bronx
Things To Do In the Bronx NYC - The Point CDC Plays & Shows
Click here to view The Point CDC map [TBD]. The theatrical productions are performed at the The Point CDC at 940 Garrison Avenue at Barretto Street in the Hunts Point neighborhood of the Bronx.
*** NO SUMMER THEATRICAL PERFORMANCES CURRENTLY SCHEDULED FOR SUMMER 2021. At present they appear to be running a mixed live / virtual operational business model because of the CoVid pandemic. Thus, it seems not likely there will be much live theatrical programming this summer, but at present this assessment is UNCONFIRMED. See www.thepoint.org or www.openhydrant.org for summer theater at this venue.
- Saturday, August 3, 2019 from 4 - 6 pm - Young Artists Development Program SHOWCASE 2019 - Tickets $5.
- Saturday, August 10, 2019 from 7 - 11 pm - The Last of the Best / Class of 2009 Reunion. I think it's free.
- Saturday, August 17, 2019 from 4 - 8 pm - Fashion Boogie. Described as follows, "Art x Design by some of NYC's prolific Artists working in collaboration with Fashion Runway Models to bring you an exuberant Art x Fashion Runway Extravaganza! Photographer By Rickyflores Film producer By Govi Lazu Music Powered By dj_pusha Dance Performance By BGGirls". I think it's free.
- Saturday, August 31, 2019 - Two Shows beginning at 8 pm and 10 pm - midnight. Described as a show "... hosted by JP JUSTICE". Tickets $20 at www.grownfolkcomedy.com & possibly more at door.
2. North Central Bronx Free Summer Outdoor & Indoor Theater
East of the Major Deegan Expressway, South of Van Cortlandt Park - but including Woodlawn Heights, West of the Bronx River Parkway [Morris Park / Webster Avenues] & North of the Cross Bronx Parkway [172nd / 175th Streets]
Free Summer Theater in the Fordham Neighborhood in the Bronx
Fordham University MainStage Theater also performs plays, but while the main university / campus is located in the Bronx, the MainStage Theater is located at 113 West 60th Street in Manhattan, a block south of Lincoln Center. Like Lehman, they will also resume performances in October 2021.
Free Summer Theater in the Bedford Park Neighborhood in the Bronx
Lehman College in Bedford Park generally hosts theatrical and musical productions during the summer, but suspended most programming in response to CoVid. They will resume performances in October 2021.
Free Summer Theater at the Loreto Playground in Morris Park, the Clinton Playground in Crotona Park South & Williamsbridge Oval in Bedford Park in the Bronx
Free Puppet Mobile in the Bronx - Free Things To Do In the Bronx NYC
Click here to view the Loreto Playground in Morris Park, the Clinton Playground in Crotona Park South & Williamsbridge Oval in Bedford Park South map [TBD]. The theatrical puppet mobile productions are performed in the Bronx.
THE MOBILE PUPPET SHOWS HAVE RETURNED - SEE NYC PARKS .GOV WEBSITE FOR DETAILS. Please note the following are events planned in 2019.
- AS OF 7/30/19 NOTHING SCHEDULED - but they told me that they may schedule something in September / October. This is the listing last year - Saturday, August 11, 2018 from 2 - 4 pm. There's a dramatic reading of Euripides Bacchae in Tremont Park near the fountain in the Tremont neighbohood of the Bronx. The reading will be followed with a bi-lingual discussion. Free ice cream will be served by the Dionysus Project. This was done at the Loreto Playground at Haight and Morris Park Avenues in the Morris Park neighborhood of the Bronx.
- Friday, August 23, 2019 from 11 am - 11.45 am / Free - CityParks PuppetMobile presents Bessie's Big Shot - They describe the Puppet Mobile performance as, "Bessie the cow dreams of joining the circus. But can she lift more than Ziegfried the strongest man in the world? Fly on the trapeze high above the crowd?" At Clinton Playground in Crotona Park South.
- Friday, August 30, 2019 from 11 am - 11.45 am / Free - CityParks PuppetMobile presents Bessie's Big Shot - They describe the Puppet Mobile performance as, "Bessie the cow dreams of joining the circus. But can she lift more than Ziegfried the strongest man in the world? Fly on the trapeze high above the crowd?" At Williamsbridge Oval at 3225 Reservoir Oval East in the Bedford Park neighborhood.
3. East Bronx Free Outdoor Summer Theater
East of the Bronx River / East of the Bronx River Parkway / north of the East River & South of Westchester - except Woodlawn Heights
BAAD - Bronx Academy of Arts & Music in the City Island Neighborhood of the Bronx
Community Performance Groups & Space Bx - Free Things To Do In the Bronx NYC
Click here to view the Bronx Academy of Arts & Music map [TBD]. Bronx Academy of Arts & Music is located at 2474 Westchester Avenue in the Westchester Square neighborhood of the Bronx. They stage performances throughout other parts of the year. This is how the BAAD website describes them.
"Home of Arthur Aviles Typical Theatre and The Bronx Dance Coalition. BAAD! is a 70-seat performance and workshop space founded in 1998 by award-winning dancer/choreographer Arthur Aviles and writer/activist Charles Rice-Gonzalez. Every year BAAD! welcomes 4,000 attendees from New York City, specifically the Bronx, to five annual festivals:
- June 1, 4, 8, 19, 25 & 26 2021 - beginning at 7.30, 8 and 9 pm - BAAD Celebrates LGBTQ. They did a number of theatrical events in commemoration of Pride and Hip Hop.
*** NO THEATRICAL PERFORMANCES VISIBLY SCHEDULED FOR JULY / AUGUST / SEPTEMBER 2021. AWAITING UPDATE FROM THEM FOR FUTURE PERFORMANCE EVENTS. CHECK BACK IN LATE JULY OR AUGUST.
- Monday through Friday, August 19 - 23, 2019 from 10 am - 3 pm daily - BAAD Bronx Intensive. A five day workshop with three classes each day. It's a dance intensive for intermediate and advanced dancers, including dance choreography and technique workshops [$15] and body awareness [$10]. You can do drop ins for the prices noted, or do the whole week for $200.
Their website is www.baadbronx.org. And some performances may be free, while others may not.
City Island Community Theater Group on City Island in the Bronx
Things To Do In the Bronx NYC - Community Theater Group
Click here to view the City Island Theater Group map [TBD]. The City Island Theater Group is located at 116 City Island Avenue in the City Island neighborhood of the Bronx. They stage performances throughout other parts of the year.
- On Hiatus over the Summer 2021 - but periodic performances through the school year - Not Free, but tickets are priced to sell.
Free Summer Theater Bufano Park in the Schuylerville Neighborhood of the Bronx
Free Puppet Show in Bufano Park - Free Things To Do In the Bronx NYC
Click here to view the Bufano Park map [TBD]. The puppet mobile show is shown at Bufano Park at Bradford and La Salle Avenues in the Schuylerville neighborhood of the Bronx.
- NOTE 2018 LISTING - Friday, May 25, 2018 from 11 am - 12 noon / Free - CityParks PuppetMobile presents The Big Good Wolf Puppet Show - "A delightful tale for kids."
The Bronx House - Pelham Parkway Neighborhood of the Bronx
Community Performance Groups & Space - Free Things To Do In the Bronx NYC
Click here to view The Bronx House at 900 Pelham Parkway South map [TBD]. The Bronx House is located at 900 Pelham Parkway South in the Pelham Parkway neighborhood of the Bronx. They host a variety of activities including performances throughout the year.
- CANCELLED 2021 _ Summer Musical Theater Workshop. A 12 week musical theater workshop with classes throughout the week. The following message was found on their website - "... Due to COVID 19, Bronx House is suspending its annual collaboration with Riverdale Children’s Theater. We look forward to resuming music theater activities at a later time. Thank you for your understanding..."
- See details next year or visit their website - www.bronxhouse.org. Some performances may be free, while others may not.
4. North & West Bronx Free Summer Theater 2021
North of Spuyten Duyvil Creek, West of the Major Deegan Expressway & Van Cortlandt Park & south of Westchester
Free Shakespeare in the Park At Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx
Free Shakespeare In Van Cortlandt Park - Free Things To Do in the Northwest Bronx NYC
The free theatrical productions / Shakespeare in Van Cortlandt Park is organized by the Hip to Hip Theatre Company of Woodside in Queens.
THE FOLLOWING SHAKESPEARE SHOW WILL NOT BE RETURNING IN 2021.
- Sunday, August 18, 2019 beginning at 5.30 pm [kids] & 6 pm / Free - Richard III - The tragic play of Richard III is about two brothers - one king and the prince in waiting - and about the last death on a battlefield of an English King. It is one of Shakespeare's history plays.
Also see free movies, free concerts and free summer things to do in the Bronx, free summer movies in the Bronx and free summer concerts in the Bronx and here to learn more about the Bronx neighborhoods.
Performance Classes - Summer Lights / Summer on Stage in the North Riverdale Neighborhood of the Bronx NYC 2021
Kingsbridge Academy Performances & Acting Classes in the Bronx - Free Things To Do Bx
Click here to view a Riverdale / Kingsbridge Academy MS/HS map [TBD]. The theatrical classes used to be held at the Riverdale / Kingsbridge Academy MS/HS 141 at 660 West 237th Street in the Riverdale neighborhood of the Bronx. But EFFECTIVE 2019 the classes are held at the Hayes Auditorium at the College of Mount St. Vincent at 6301 Riverdale Avenue in the North Riverdale neighborhood of the Bronx.
*** NOT LIKELY RETURNING THIS YEAR 2021 - IN PART DUE TO LINGERING COVID PANDEMIC & IN PART DUE TO CONSTRUCTION AT THE SCHOOL.
- Thursday, Friday & Sunday, August 1, 2 & 4, 2019 - Finding Nemo by Riverdale Summer Lights Children's Theatre - Begins at 5 pm all days and matinee at 1 pm Sunday only. A Disney classic performed on stage. In the Hayes Auditorium at the College of Mount St. Vincent at 6301 Riverdale Avenue. Tickets are $10 at www.RiverdaleTheatre.org.
- Weekdays July 1 to August 9, 2019 from 9 am to 4 pm [kids] - Acting Classes - Entering grades 2 through 9 and costing $2695. Early bird discount ends in February and tuition must be paid by May. Contact www.RiverdaleTheatre.org.
5. Northern Manhattan - Near the Bronx Free Summer Theater 2021
Free Summer Theater at Marcus Garvey Park, Jackie Robinson Bandshell & Inwood Hill Parks
There's free summer theater at -
Marcus Garvey Park in Harlem
- Tuesdays through Sundays, July 6 - July 29, 2021 beginning at 8.30 pm - Sieze the King - performed by the Classical Theatre of Harlem. The Classical Theater of Harlem NYC website describes the play as follows. "With his country’s throne empty, Richard knocks down threats to his ascension, fueling his insatiable ambition and paranoia. Even if he can be stopped -- who can ensure a tyrant won’t rise in his place? Award-winning playwright Will Power delivers a propulsive and timely modern reinterpretation of Shakespeare’s Richard III that the San Diego City Beat described as “a sharp, lyrical script that blurs the line between the past and the present, while positing that ambition and depravity are not the province of merely one king, one country or one moment in time." At the Richard Rodgers Amphitheater at Marcus Garvey Park [enter at 124th St & Fifth Ave and walk south to the venue]. Free.
*** THE FOLLOWING IS NOT VISIBLY SCHEDULED FOR 2021. NOT LIKELY TO RETURN THIS YEAR BUT UNCONFIRMED. Note that the following listing is from 2019.
- Wednesday, July 31, 2019 from 6 to 7.30 pm - New York NY Euripides Summer Festival - IPHIGENIA AMONG THE TAURIANS - "Iphigenia was actually not sacrificed in Aulis by Agamemnon but was saved by Artemis whom she now serves as a priestess in the goddess' temple at Tauris where her brother Orestes and his friend Pylades go to rob the temple." At the Richard Rodgers Amphitheater at Marcus Garvey Park [enter at 124th St & Fifth Ave and walk south to the venue]. Free summer theater in the Harlem neighborhood of NYC. FREE.
- Thursday, August 1, 2019 from 6 - 7.30 pm - New York NY Euripides Summer Festival - DAUGHTERS OF TROY - "One of the best antiwar plays ever written, it reflects Euripides' disillusionment of Athenian democracy, borrowing events from the Trojan War just after the stratagem of the Trojan Horse, when Troy fell to the Greeks." At the Richard Rodgers Amphitheater at Marcus Garvey Park [enter at 124th St & Fifth Ave and walk south to the venue]. Free summer theater in the Harlem neighborhood of NYC. FREE.
Jackie Robinson Bandshell in Jackie Robinson Park in Harlem
- Sunday, August 15, 2021 beginning at 2 pm - Critical Care of Rehearsals for a Nurse - in Washington Square Park in the Village. TNC describes the new play saying it's about, "... a young lady named Rose, who is studying to be a Nurse. She takes a job in a Nursing home so that she will be able to pay her tuition, books, and living expenses. But COVID-19 rears its Ugly Head, and Rose has a big fight on her hands, to help to save her city and her own future as a pediatric nurse. In this beautiful Street Theater Story, the old and the new, the old and the young, all come together, to assure us that this Pandemic will end, and together, we shall survive. Like the phoenix, we will rise from the ashes. As the juggler/clown, working in the local Hospital Clown Care Unit predicts: "When we wear our masks and wash our hands - grab that vaccine and deeply care for each other, we are unstoppable." Organized by the Parks Dept & Theater for the New City aka TNC at www.theaterforthenewcity.net. Free summer theater in the Village. FREE. CoVid guidelines in effect.
- The bandshell is at West 147th Street and Bradhurst Avenue in Washington Heights.
ON HIATUS / DISCONTINUED. Note that the following listing is from 2016.
Inwood Shakespeare Festival
- THEY ARE HAVING TROUBLE W/ FUNDING _ MIGHT BECOME A PERMANENT CLOSE 2021 _ On HIATUS in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 & 2021. The Inwood Shakespeare Festival did not return in 2017 after 16 years of performances, as the theater group that performed in it [Moose Hall Theatre Company], said they needed a greater commitment from the NYC Parks Department for them to raise funding to support the effort. In 2019 it looks like more of the same, but they're planning a production of Anton Chehkov's The Cherry Orchard in 2020 - but they are still seeking support at www.moosehallisf.org [the isf stands for Inwood Shakespeare Festival]. More about the production times / location in 2020.
Free Outdoor Summer Theater In Bronx NYC 2021
Free Things To Do In Bronx - Free Theater in the Bronx NYC
Click this link to go to the Bronx neighborhoods with good restaurants and shopping - TBD.
Site Search Tips. 1) For best results, when typing in more than one word, use quotation marks - eg "Central Park". 2) Also try either singular or plural words when searching for a specific item such as "gym" or "gyms".
Click this link to search for something in our Bronx Business Directory which will contain over 1,000 listings.
Click here to see free summer theater & Shakespeare in the Park in NYC for all five boroughs.
- Free Summer Theater Plays Bronx Bx
- Free Summer Theater Plays Brooklyn Bk
- Free Summer Theater Plays Manhattan Mhtn
- Free Summer Theater Plays Queens Qns
- Free Summer Theater Plays Staten Island Si
Send this story to a friend by filling in the appropriate box below.